Different Types Of Dog Diapers
Dog diapers can make the life of dog owners simple. Whether the dog is incontinent or you need to keep the diaper on him for a short period for example when you are staying in a hotel. However, you need to use dog diapers properly. This article seeks to enlighten dog owners on the guidelines and tip for using both reusable dog diapers and disposable diapers.
When To Get Your Dog Reusable Dog Diapers
Before you get a dog diapers for your dog, you have to make sure it’s for the right reason. Unless your dog is incontinent, you shouldn’t use dog diapers for the long term. Reusable dog diapers are not meant as alternatives to house training. You can have your dog wear dog diapers while you train it, but it is not supposed to substitute proper training.
There are times when a dog can’t control the bladder. That is normally due to old age, hormonal imbalances or if the dog is paralyzed. These are the times when you will have no option but to use dog diapers for an extended period.
If your dog is incontinent, you get to keep the dog’s bedding dry and you also get to keep your home urine-free. In such cases, the dog may have to use dog diapers for the rest of their life. For long term use, reusable dog diapers are recommended since they are more economical over the long term.
When To Get Your Dog Disposable Dog Diapers
There are times when you will need to use dog diapers for a short period. It normally calls for the use of disposable diapers instead of reusable dog diapers. That is because, over a short period of time, it is better to get disposable diapers for your dog. One of the times when your dog may need those dog diapers is when she is warm or in heat. During that period, dog diapers are an effective way to stop the blood leaks from messing up your floors and furniture. Some dog owners prefer to use dog chastity belt to keep the female in heat from getting pregnant.
Young dogs may also need to wear dog diapers when you are training them. You can use dog diapers to aid training, but diapers should not be a long term solution.
Here are some few other times when you may need to get a dog diapers for your dog:
- Plane trips
- Stays at a hotel or motel
- When visiting an unfamiliar house
- When surgery has prevented your dog from going out
Dog Diaper Materials
There are two types of dog diapers depending on the material from which they are made, and these are fabric or disposable.
Cloth diapers are also known as reusable dog diapers.
- The best thing about reusable dog diapers is that you can wash them and reuse them over and over again. This makes them more economical and eco-friendly (as it decreases the carbon footprint).
- Also, reusable dog diapers have many different patterns and colors. This makes them more aesthetically pleasing and you as an owner has more to choose from appearance-wise.
- The downside to reusable dog diapers is that the initial coast is high and they are unpleasant to wash.
Disposable Dog Diapers
Disposable diapers, on the other hand, are a direct opposite to reusable dog diapers.
- They are convenient, and you can discard them after use.
- Per unit cost, there are much cheaper than reusable dog diapers.
- If you plan on using them for a long period of time, the cost is high.
- There are also not as eco-friendly as reusable dog diapers.
Can You Use Human Diapers For Dogs?
Human diapers are usually a lot cheaper than dog diapers. Because of the high cost of dog diapers, a lot of us like to modify human diapers and use them on dogs.
Dog Diapers Positives
- The main advantage of using dog diapers is that their designs are specifically for dogs. There are separate dog diapers designs for female dogs and for male dogs. There are also dog diapers designed for specific breeds. Dog diapers have tail holes and fit the dog’s anatomy better.
- Also, it is difficult to modify a human diaper to fit on some breeds. One such breed is the Italian Greyhounds, which have large chests and tiny waists.
Dog Diapers Negatives
- On the flip side, dog diapers are difficult to find at times and are more expensive
Human diapers are usually really cheap and are everywhere. All grocery stores, discount houses, and supermarkets have human diapers. If you want to fit a human diaper onto your dog, you will have to make a hole for its tail. You may have to use duct tape to secure it properly to the dog.
Dog Diapers Usage Guidelines
Here are a few guidelines to keep in mind, if you want to get the most out of dog diapers.
- If you want dog diapers for poop, you need to read the instructions carefully before getting the diaper. You will also need to get a large size, and add additional padding.
- Diapers have different absorption rates. You need to select the right one for your dog. Just like human diapers, there are ultra-absorbent versions.
- You need to measure your dog and check its weight and get it a diaper that fits.
- You have to be ready to change your dog’s diaper frequently. A damp diaper will cause the dog to develop nappy rashes. A wet diaper will stress the dog out and can even lead to infections.
- You should replace house training with diapers. If your dog is not responding to training. You should contact your vet or a dog trainer.
- You need to see the vet if your dog is incontinent or leaky. It can be due to old age or an infection. If it is an infection, the vet can diagnose tour dog and prescribe medication or treatment.
- If your dog is incontinent due to old age, then reusable dog diapers are the way to go.