There are times when you will need to get your dog a diaper. For female dogs, this can be down to 3 things. She could be in heat, she could be suffering from urinary incontinence, or she could be suffering from excitable urination. When that happens, you will need to get your female dog some female dog diapers such as Paw Inspired Ultra Protection Disposable Dog Diapers for Females, Simple Solution Fashion Print female disposable dog diapers, and Vet’s Best Comfort Fit Disposable female diapers. Male dog diapers are also needed for male dogs.
Somehow, male dogs use different types of dog diapers. That is because the male anatomy is different to the females. With male dogs, male dog wraps are usually used. It is a type of dog diaper designed for male dogs. Examples of male dog diapers include Vet’s Best Comfort-Fit Disposable Male Wrap, and Wiki Wags Brand 12 Male Dog Disposable Wraps (Bellybands). The reasons why male dogs use dog diapers are similar to that of female dogs except male dogs do not go into heat.
There is one hidden reason to put diapers on dogs, and that is for housetraining. When a dog is a puppy and not yet trained he will try to raise his legs and pee on furniture in the house. That is because he wants to mark as many things in the house with his scent. You can discourage this by putting a male dog wrap on him. The moment he finds out that he cannot mark the indoors with his scent he stops doing so. If not you will have to use negative reinforcement to discourage dogs who want to mark the place.
Reasons To Get Male Dog Diapers
There are times when it becomes a necessity as explained earlier on. Here are the reasons into details. For all you know there is something you can do about it. This article is targeted at male dog diapers better known as male dog wraps (belly bands).
Urinary incontinence is the situation whereby, the dog cannot hold in the pee until he or she gets to a suitable place. It is down to three reasons the first is old age, the second is an infection of the urinary tract and the third is down to bladder infection.
- Urinary Incontinence caused by old age – As your dog ages, she loses the ability to control his or her bladder as the muscles responsible for controlling the flow of urine weakens. In that case, you will need to get your dog some dog diapers. However, before you rush off to get your dog some diapers, it is necessary to take him or her to the vet. Your dog could be suffering from an infection that could get worse and lead to complications when not treated.
- Infection of the urinary tract – This is another common cause of urinary incontinence. It will require treatment. Taking your dog to the vet is a must. You will need to get his male dog wraps as he undergoes treatment.
- Bladder infection or cancer – Bladder infections can also lead to urinary incontinence. Bladder cancer can also cause urinary incontinence. If it is untreatable, your dog will have to be in diapers for the rest of his life. Dogs, unlike humans, will not be put down by situations as such. He or she will be as excitable and loving as he always is.
There are other causes of urinary incontinence such as Anatomic disorders, certain medications, Congenital abnormalities, Hormonal imbalance, Presence of other diseases that causes the dog to drink excessive water, such as diabetes, hyperadrenocorticism kidney disease, Prostate disorders, Protruding intervertebral disc, Spinal injury or degeneration (frequently seen in German shepherds), Urinary stones, Urinary tract infection, and Weak bladder sphincter.
Symptoms Of Urinary Incontinence
- Dripping urine, which will cause redness of the skin.
- The dog licking the penis area or vulva excessively.
- Sleeping area of the dog contaminated with urine.
If you see any of the above signs, you should take your dog to the vet. That will allow the vet to diagnose and determine the root of the problem. Urinalysis, checking of history and a physical test will be performed. It will verify the cause if the urinary incontinence. Other tests that may also be conducted include ultrasound, radiographs, blood work, and urine culture. Bladder infections will need administration of antibiotics to fight the infection.
What Complications May Arise?
In many cases, the urinary incontinence may come and go better disappearing. In other cases, the urinary incontinence may progress until it leads to serious infections such as kidney and bladder infections. Also when left unchecked, the area around the vulva or penis will get infected due to constant contact with the urine.
Depending on the cause, treatment will be different. Medications can manage the condition. There is also hormone therapy, phenylpropanolamine, which strengthens the urethral sphincter. The last resort will be surgery. A new form of treatment available is collagen injections. You will need to discuss this with the vet.
Living With An Incontinent Dog
- You need to place clean blankets and towels where your dog sleeps, or waterproof pads under his or bedding to absorb moisture.
- For male dogs, it is necessary to use male dog diapers. You can find them online and at your nearest pet store.
- If you decide to limit how much water your pet takes, make sure your vet told you to do so.
- Monitor your dog regularly and make sure you provide your precious dog with adequate hygiene so not to cause infections.
House Training Your Dog Using Male Dog Diapers
Housetraining is necessary if your dog is to learn indoors. The male dog diapers are one way to housetrain your male dog. This only work for a dog that is already house trained and is almost at the end of his housetraining process. Also, the dog must be one that does not mind have cloth articles on him. If not, it will just not work. If the dog is without no training at all, you may not be able to teach him not to urinate inside if you put diapers on him. You have to ensure that he is trained and have ‘pee accidents’.
Find A Comfy, Well-Fitting Male Dog Diaper
It is important that the diapers or male wraps you put on the dog fits him very well and is comfortable. It means you have to measure the waist size of your dog. If the male dog diaper is not well fitted, your dog can take it off with easily, also urine can leak out. When you put the male dog diapers on the dog, it is very likely that he will try to wiggle out of it. You should calm him down then reward him for his calmness with a doggie treat. If the dog just does not stop trying to take the diaper off, then it may not be the best to use male dog diapers to house train the dog.
Excitement urination and submissive urination are problems many dog parents have. These are problems that can be easily managed. Most of the time, the dog grows out of it.
This normally occurs when the dog is playing or during the greeting. It normally happens with puppies and young dogs who are now learning to control their bladders. This problem can persist if the dog is encouraged. I know what you are thinking, why would you encourage your dog to pee indoors? Well, if you pet or talk soothingly to your dog while he urinates, it will encourage him. Also, scolding and punishment whenever excitement urination occurs can lead to the problem continuing.
Signs Of Excitable Urination
- If the dog is under 1 year and urinates when excited, it may be due to excitation urination.
- Also, if the dog urinates during greeting or playtime, and he is excited when it happens this can
Ways To Manage The Situation
- Take the dog to the vet. The problem could be down to something more serious such as infection.
- Frequent walks will ensure your dog urines more.
- Male dog diapers are great for keeping the area dry. This can be used as a precaution.
- Vigorous exercise can help solve the problem.
- When he is excited, you can try ignoring him until he calms down.
- When you greet the dog, keep your voice at a low pitch. Try to avoid hugging, rough housing, and high pitch baby talk.
- You can play outside until the problem passes.
Best Male Dog Wraps
There are many dog diapers male out there you can get your young dog. Getting a bad male wrap will lead to a lot of problems. Firstly, if the wrap des not soak up and gel up the urine, it will result in skin irritation and even infection. Your dog will suffer and you will have to spend money on treating the skin infection. Also, the urine can leak if the dog diapers male is not a good one.