Humans are not the only ones who use diapers, dogs do too. Many situations require you as a dog parent will have to put diapers on your canine friend. So what are the reasons that will force you to get your dog large dog diapers?
- Urinary Incontinence – This is one of the main reason why you will need to use dog diapers. You have to ensure that it is not a behavioral thing. Excitement urination and submissive urination are behavioral issues, and you can train most dogs out of it. Excitement urination is when the dog urinates when excited such as during playtime and when you greet him. With time, dogs grow out of this. Submissive urination happens when the dog is timid or scared. They will usually tuck their tails between their legs when this happens.Urinary incontinence is a different situation altogether. That is when the dog loses control of his or her bladder. It can be caused by infection to the urinary tract, bacterial infections, bladder problems, bladder cancer, and weakened urinary sphincter muscle and so on. The first sign that your dog is incontinent, it is important to get him to the vet. That way the dog can be diagnosed. Many times, the infection causing incontinence can be treated. During this period, large dog diapers may be necessary. Also, if the problem cannot be solved, large dog diapers may have to become a permanent part of your large dog’s life.
- Old Age – As dogs grow older, they will slowly begin to lose control of their bodily functions. As such, he or she will start to go whenever the urge hits. There are times when the dog forgets what he or she has learned. There are times when you can solve the problem with treatment. However, a lot of the time, you will have to consider making large dog diapers part of the dog’s personal life.
- Female Dogs In Heat – When a female dog is in heat, she will tend to leak. When that happens, you will then have to get her a dog diaper. There are diapers designed for female dogs. You will need to get a female dog diaper for your female dog. Dog diapers will not stop a male dog from mating with a female dog in heat.
- House Training – The last use of large dog diapers is for housetraining. It can have its advantages and disadvantages. One of the disadvantages is that you cannot use it all the way. You will still need to take the dog outside so he or she can learn the right place to go. It is helpful when you the dog is nearly the end of his or her housetraining and you want to prevent accidental pee. This way you can protect your furniture, rugs, carpets, and such.
How To Use Large Dog Diapers
When it comes to dog diapers, you need to find the right fit and type for your dog. The wrong large dog diapers can be very frustrating indeed.
- Before you even start putting large dog diapers on your dog you should take the dog to the vet especially if the dog in not in heat. Leaking of urine and accidental urination can be due to medical reasons, which have to be treated. If it is an infection and it is not treated, it can grow and turn into a much more serious problem.
- One thing to consider is absorbency and fit. When the dog is no comfortable, he or she will hate being in the dog diaper. Also, if the absorption is not good enough, the penile or vulvar area will be constantly wet. That will lead to rashes, skin irritation, and even infections. If the dog is in heat, she will not leak too much fluid. You can use light absorbency dog diapers or a washable diaper and a light absorbency diaper liners. But for a dog suffering from urinary incontinence, you will need a dog diaper that can absorb a lot of liquid.
- Remember to change the diaper regularly. A dog should not be in a diaper, which is wet. Dirty and wet diapers are not good. It can lead to diaper rash, skin irritations such as inflammation, itching, burning and even bacterial infections. Even the best diapers will eventually get full and wet. Some diapers have wetness indicators. It will help you determine the right time to take the diaper off.
- You should wipe the dog down with baby wipes when you switch doggie diapers.
- You should get some gloves. That is necessary when you change the dog’s diaper.
Suggested Large Dog Diapers To Consider
- Wegreeco Washable Dog Diapers – These are great washable dog diapers to get. You will need to use diaper liners with washable dog diaper. However, if a female dog in heat uses these diapers, the diaper alone may be okay.
- Simple Solution Disposable Dog Diaper – These are great for dogs who need diapers. There are disposable. That means you will just have to dispose of them once they have been soiled. This makes them convenient.
- Pet Magasin Reusable Dog Diapers – Reusable dog diapers will save you money in the long run. For this reason, many actually prefer them
- Vet’s Best Comfort Fit Disposable Male Wrap – Male dogs have to use male wraps. These are also called belly bands. The Vet’s Best Comfort Fit Disposable Male Wraps are disposable ones, and thus is convenient.
- OUT! Disposable Dog Diapers – These disposable dog diapers are perfect for female dogs. The OUT! Disposable Dog Diapers are one of the most liked dog diapers out there, and for good reason.
- Simple Solution Disposable Liners Light Absorbency 22 Count – If you decide to go with washable dog diapers, you will need diaper liners for them, the Simple Solution Disposable Liners Light Absorbency are for light absorbency, so they will not do well against heavy flows. They are however very affordable, at about 10 cents per liner.
- Paw Inspired Ultra Protection Disposable Dog Diapers, Female, 12 Count – These are some of the best female dog diapers you can get your hands on. The absorbency of Paw Inspired Ultra Protection Disposable Dog Diapers is very good. The fasteners are also fur friendly.
- Wiki Wags Brand 12 Male Dog Disposable Wraps (Bellybands) – You may need belly bands for your male dog. You should consider Wiki Wags Brand 12 Male Dog Disposable Wraps. They are the very best.
- Simple Solution Fashion Print Disposable Dog Diapers – Just because you have to put large dog diapers on your large dog does not mean the diapers cannot be nice and trendy. The Simple Solution Fashion Print Disposable Dog Diapers are fashionable and effective. These diapers are for female dogs.
- Vet’s Best Comfort-Fit Disposable Female Diapers, 12 Count – The last diapers on the list are the Vet’s Best Comfort Fit Disposable Female Diapers. These are very comfortable and can absorb a lot of fluid.
You will notice that most dog diapers are meant for female dogs. That is because female dogs need dog diapers more. Most owners who have dogs that live indoors will not like to have their female dogs mess up their furniture, rugs, and floors when they are in heat. Also, urinary incontinence is more common among old and middle-aged female dogs that have been spayed. Breeds such as Old English sheepdogs and Doberman pinschers are more prone to incontinence. It is important to know that all dogs can develop issues that require the need of diapers. Careful consideration is important. Also, make sure the dog sees a vet before any decision.